Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Carving out the Gas Tank


So...Kevin was in the U.P. for 2 weeks, and Cheryl became country woman of the year (and hated every minute). I had to feed the cat, water the rabbits, let the dog out morning/afternoon/night, add chemicals to the hot tub, and worst of all, put wood in both the inside fireplace, and the outside wood stove which serves as our furnace. The wood was the worst, because it's way too big for a short person of the age of 37 (or if your a Nelson/Stambaugh you claim I'm 40+) to chuck in every night and I always walked away smelling like smoke. On top of that, I had to make sure the kids got to school every morning and were picked up every afternoon. Anyway, aside from spending more money than Kevin would have liked (how can you say no to requests to go to China Garden when Kevin is not around to stop you?), I made one other major stupid decision.

On Sunday afternoon and evening, the snow was melting like crazy and then it rained Sunday night. I had parked the Honda under our porch roof so that I wouldn't have to scrape windows, but the back of the Honda hung out past the roof. This meant that all of the drippage ran down the side of the vehicle. Early in the morning Monday, it got REALLY cold and the wind picked up to the point that the noise of it howling made you want to stay in bed. I had driven on Sunday with my gas light on, and knew that I would have to get gas on Monday. On Monday morning, I stopped at the gas station in Mt. Pleasant, only to find that my cover was frozen shut (and every speck of the crack around the cover was full through with ice). I had to leave the gas station and go to work because I couldn't open it. Of course, I was then distracted and didn't remember about it until 10 minutes before I had to pick up the kids in Shepherd. Not wanting them to stand outside waiting in icy wind (Taylor doesn't wear socks these days), I frantically took a butter knife from work, and carved out the very thick ice that had filled in the crack all the way around the cover. It worked and I was able to get gas before I ran out, but I also carved away some paint on the inside of the cover.

Kevin came home that night, but I was too afraid to tell him. After worrying all day on Tuesday about it, he was in a terrible mood when I went to tell him, so I didn't. I again lost sleep on Tuesday night envisioning the fight that would happen when I finally showed him the damage. This morning (Wednesday), I finally decided that imagining the fight over and over again was actually worse than living through it, so I bit the bullet and showed him. His response?

"Well, it will eventually rust, but it's not that big a deal." Are you kidding me???!!! I was tormented by this for 2 days and he came through and was nice about it!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

The Nelson Family said...

i am giggling right now!! that was a great story!!! Thanks Cheryl! By the was....you are stuck at 32 in my head, don't know why...dani

Carol and Dan said...

You need to move to Oregon! It is illegal to pump your own gas...I don't even know how to open my gas tank! :) ..........c.
(oh crap! just remembered I'm moving to Washington)

The Nelson Family said...

Cheryl, that was awesome! Now that's storytelling.