Friday, October 23, 2009

Final Cross Country Meet

Today, Taylor ran her last meet of the year in rain and wind at the Gratiot Country Club. The flu (and you know which one I mean) has hit Shepherd and every other school in the area, so the kids are in the middle of a mini vacation. Mt. Pleasant schools closed from Wed through Friday, but Shepherd held out for two days longer. They are closed Friday through Tuesday. They still had their meet today, but there were only 15 runners from the middle school, on a team that normally has 37. The coach warned them to just run for fun since they wouldn't have a chance of winning. Little did he know that most other schools would have the same problem. Only a small portion of the schools that signed up for the meet arrived. In the end, the Shepherd girls took 1st place and got a plaque for it, and each runner earned a medal. This was great for the girls that usually don't get medals! Sorry for the sideways pics, but I couldn't get them to switch on my computer, and once I tried to edit them, I couldn't delete individual pictures. Anyway, look closely at the mud on the back of Tay's legs. This is from all of the mud bogs that she ran through. It dried on her legs and this is what they still looked like after she got home.







Crossing the 2 mile finish line at 14:29.



























Some of my favorite cross country quotes as seen on the backs of shirts from other teams:
"Our sport is your sport's punishment."
"Cross country. Finally, a good use of golf courses!"
"If running was easy, they'd call it football!"

3 comments:

Susu said...

I am so glad you posted something so I don't have to make any more threats. There was a very good pic of Max licking your face that was going up next! I wish we could watch a track meet or soccer game-I am so proud of Tay and Walker!

Danielle Nelson said...

Oh man, it sounds like a good time (besides all the rain and mud)..first place!!! Good job Tay and Shepherd. You guys are not wussies like those other schools!!!
Love the shirt quotes.

Unknown said...

I am so proud there is another runner in the family! Tay had such a great season and I look forward to another great 5 years of reports!