Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Day 4 in Thailand: Saturday

This was our first day in Kantharalak village after arriving at 3am. Since we had to be up and "showering" at 6am, we didn't get much sleep. It will be so hard to describe the house since it's nothing like you would see in the states but maybe pictures will help later on. The church is kind of like a pole barn with wooden doors on the front that are always open. There is a huge arbor with some kind of vine growing on it in front of the church and house where there is a "picnic" table. This is one of the coolest places to be during the day, if you can classify anything not airconditionned as cool. The house has several small rooms. There are 2 "normal" toilets (you can't put toilet paper in them and they don't flush so you have to pour a bowl of water down them). There are also 2 squatty potties. My goal was to avoid ever using a squatty potty in Thailand, but I discovered Saturday in the middle of the night, that we were locked out of the main part of the house, and the only potty that I had access to was the squatty. Not only did I use it, but I used it in the dark! I'm now getting pretty good at it, but it grosses my out to think about what my clothes are touching and there are never hooks for my purse. Our room has 7 mats on the floor (think thin lawn chair cushion on a cement floor) with sheets on them that can't stay clean. As we sleep, little ants and other things wander around and over us. We're getting pretty used to it. Jen and I are keeping a list of funny quotes that we hear, and several have to do with bugs and sweating in places that we didn't even know we had!

No comments: