Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Recess in Rose

I must admit, I was guilt tripped into participating in a school field trip today. It was called "Recess in Rose" and I think it may have been the most brilliant idea ever for CMU women's basketball. I don't know if any of you have ever attended a CMU women's basketball game (I didn't think so), but my guess is that their attendance is typically low. To combat this, they decided to schedule a midweek game at noon, and they invited all of the area schools to attend for FREE. It worked. There were 4,400 people in attendance, which I believe set a record attendance for this sport at CMU. It was definately loud, and the cheerleaders were probably in heaven to have a crowd that responded so eagerly to all of their chants!

For all of you old timers, or Rose Rowdies, who remember the days of Dan Marjle (sp) and throwing toilet paper after the first CMU basket of the game (men's basketball of course), you will notice that the 3rd banner from the right is his jersey number.



Now here's the fun part of the day. I attended the field trip with Walker and his class. When he asked me to go, I told him that it was my busiest day of the week and that he should ask Kevin. He then informed me that this is what I always say, and that I have never attended a field trip with him. Having a hard time believing this, I started thinking about all of the miserable field trips that I had been on, and realized that they were all with Taylor. I would go with Taylor, and then when it was Walker's turn, I couldn't bear to think of going again, so I would send Kevin. Knowing that it may be the last time (elementary years end as of this year in our family), I changed my schedule and went with Walker. It was weird to leave my office and drive away from CMU, to park in Shepherd and catch a bus back to CMU! Anyway, the whole middle school attended, so Taylor was there too! As a middle school student, she cannot be caught in the same vacinity as a parent. She was confident that in huge Rose arena, I would not be able to find her. Lucky for me, CMU assigned schools to different sections. Of the several hundred students from Shepherd in our section, Taylor was seated a mere 5 rows directly behind me. How unlucky for her! As soon as I spotted her, I cupped my hands to my mouth and shouted "Taylor! Taylor Priest! Hi Taylor!" as I madly waved my hands. Her friends thought it was quite funny and were embarrased for her. Near the end of the game, I ran up and sat next to her and put my arms around her shoulders to wisper in her ear. She turned to me and hissed, "leave NOW!" Good times, good times!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

"How unlucky for her........." LOL I'm still laughing.... :)

Chris Ann said...

ah,you learned somthing from mom after all! I love it.